Hightouch can turn Azure Synapse into a marketing, sales, success and operational engine.
Hightouch lets you pull data stored in Azure Synapse and push it to downstream destinations. Connecting Hightouch to Azure Synapse requires some setup in both platforms. In Azure Synapse, you need to configure your firewall settings.
Azure firewall setup
By default, Azure protects your Synapse data from any external IP address from connecting to your Synapse workspace. Follow these steps to add Hightouch's IP addresses to the firewall.
- Log into your Azure Console Dashboard.
- Click on your Synapse workspace under Resources.
- In the left sidebar, select Security > Networking .
- Allowlist the Hightouch IP addresses for your region.
- Click the Save button in upper left corner.
In Hightouch, go to the Sources overview page and click the Add source button. Select Azure Synapse and follow the steps below.
Choose authentication method
When creating an Azure Synapse source, you can either enter the Host, Port, Database, User, and Password by selecting Password or you can provide the full URI Connection string.
Enter your connection string in this format:
Once you've entered your connection string and clicked Continue, you can skip to the Test your Connection section of this doc.
Choose connection type
Hightouch can connect directly to Azure Synapse over the public internet or via an SSH tunnel. Since data is encrypted in transit via TLS, a direct connection is suitable for most use cases. You may need to set up a tunnel if your Azure Synapse instance is on a private network or virtual private cloud (VPC).
Hightouch supports both standard and reverse SSH tunnels. To learn more about SSH tunneling, refer to Hightouch's tunneling documentation.
Configure your source
Enter the following required fields into Hightouch:
- Host: The hostname or IP address of your Azure Synapse.
- Port: The port number of your Azure Synapse. The default is 1433, but yours may be different.
- Database: The name of the database in your Azure Synapse.
- Username: This can be your personal Azure Synapse login or a dedicated user for Hightouch.
- Password: The password for the user specified above.
Optionally you can enter a Request timeout duration and whether to Trust server certification.
Test your connection
When setting up Azure Synapse as a source for the first time, Hightouch validates your credentials and access to your database. Once the test passes, click Continue to finish setup.
If you see the following error message, you need to update your firewall settings in your Azure Console.
Cannot open server 'hightouch-test' request by login. Client with IP address '126.96.36.199' is not allowed to access the server. To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range. It may up take up to five minutes for this change to take effect.
Once your source configuration has passed the necessary validation, you've completed setting up Azure Synapse as a source. Next, you can set up models to define which data you want to pull from Azure Synapse.
The Azure Synapse source supports these modeling methods:
- writing a query in the SQL editor
- using the visual table selector
- leveraging existing dbt models